3D LED Mapping

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

momentummedia

3D LED Mapping

Post by momentummedia »

I have 160 qty 1m LED Video tubes that are 360 degree viewable.. I have seen loads of videos of night club installs that are using madrix to 3d map the video to a hanging grid array of these same tubes that I purchased. Is there a tutorial or instructions somewhere that I can get to show how to do this? Im running 16 universes of DMX through 2 USB/DMX controllers... I also have DVI/DMX controller but I dont have the Madrix key yet to do DVI...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: 3D LED Mapping

Post by Wissmann »

LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
puck_nut

Post by puck_nut »

any progress on 3d mapping?
In line with the project described by momentummedia -
I have a pending project that will include >300 LED drop tubes spread over 64 universes (~9,300 rgb pixels).
The project will also require that we pull a video representation from Madrix for a projected display that will compliment the drop tube display.
Does anyone have a working example of this implementation?
Any concerns with performance?
Will we have to implement Z-layering as described by Wissman in other posts?

specs:
Madrix Professional 64 universe license
Windows 7 32 bit
quad core 3.8 gig
4 gig memory
gigabit nic
Cisco Catalyst 3560 core switch
Artnet 8 universe dmx bridges
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

yes z-layering is necessary if you like to get 3d effects.
Additional you have to increase your patch size for a area where you set up your video content with a SCE Video effect mapped onto this area.
I see no performance issues at all regarding the 300 LED Tubes.
For the video projection it depends on the resolution you like to provide but with the specs you show here i have no concerns if you didn´t like to render Full HD.
puck_nut

Post by puck_nut »

Wissman - you suggest: "Additional you have to increase your patch size for a area where you set up your video content with a SCE Video effect mapped onto this area."

is it the case then, that the area mapped to the SCE Video effect will be output from Madrix, to an assigned video card of my choice?
From the video card, I am then free to distribute the video as I see fit?

note: I apologize, I should research documentation more..
However, your expertise is much appreciated.

let me push the limits a bit....(my limits :o)
Can I map mutiple SCE Video effect areas, assign the output to multiple video cards, then distribute however we decide?
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Ok, MADRIX offers two external DVI Previews which are normaly used to output data which is captured by a led dvi controller to provide this rgb data for LED´s.
It is possible to set up this dvi previews working in Fullscreen and you can decide where this dvi previews are lockated, lets say on the second monitor.
With this you can use the second monitor output to either get the signal by a capture device like a dvi led controler or for example for a video projector.
If your computer offers one more output you can use the second dvi preview of MADRIX to do the same thing.
But you have to keep the performance in mind.
Lets say you running two times 320x240 (stretched to fullscreen by the dvi preview) with a powerfull pc this will work. Using higher resolutions depends on you MADRIX license and the power of your pc.
puck_nut

Post by puck_nut »

Awesome! We'll give it a go and post some video when complete.
A Madrix 3D LED tube show with integrated video - should be spectacular!
Your willingness to consult on conceptual ideas is motivating.
Thank you for your thoughts.