running Madrix with Windows on a Mac - anyone?

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Carsten

running Madrix with Windows on a Mac - anyone?

Post by Carsten »

looking at the poll >10% of the users use Mac hardware running Windows and Madrix.

I'm thinking about doing the same because of three reasons:
1. the Mac Pro is already there
2. it's powerful (4 cores)
3. video input via firewire (or analogue video via an interface) is available

Questions:
Any experiences, anyone? How many DVI pixels can be controlled with how many cores and how much GHz?
Will firewire video input still work with Madrix and Windows running on a Mac?
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: running Madrix with Windows on a Mac - anyone?

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Carsten,

All in all, I can't specifically answer your questions. But let me try to give some insights.

Do you already have the Mac Pro?
If yes, why don't you test everything yourself using the demo version? It is quite easy and you will quickly see results.

I can't tell you how powerful the Mac Pro is or how he would perform, but I am running MADRIX on a Mac Mini (Mid 2009) and it performs well for my needs. But I can imagine that you wish to control quite a lot DVI pixels. So how many pixels do you need?

I think, the Mac Pro should be quite powerful. Although, newer iMacs or MacBook Pros certainly keep up since the Mac Pro hasn't been technically updated for a while.

When you use Bootcamp and Windows natively on a Mac, it can be quite a good and fitting solution depending on your individual requirements.

For video input, we would recommend the "Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro" internal capture card. It could very well be that it runs in a Mac Pro.

If FireWire video input will still work, I can imagine will mainly depend if Bootcamp provides the necessary Windows drivers.