Help! New to Madrix, using SLESA-7

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

lrueda

Help! New to Madrix, using SLESA-7

Post by lrueda »

Hi,

I am new to Madrix and am having some issues. I have downloaded the demo version to understand more about this software before purchasing, so hopefully you can figure out what issues are related to having demo (rather than full) software, and what is user error.

Currently I have the Madrix outputting to the SLESA-7 (shows up as SUIDI-5A in the DMX Manager-DMX Devices tab). From there I am using a DMX 512 Pixel Decoder, and then a strip of 50 LED RGB pixels controlled by WS2801 ICs. The brand I purchased was not available in the Fixture options, so I used the "!generic RGB Light 1 pixel". I have been unable to output any information to the lights, but I am wondering if that is due to the fact it is a demo version.

My questions are:
1. To control this single universe, which key would I need? Is everything else I am using compatible with Madrix?
2. For future projects I would like to work in multiple universes. What key would I need? What hardware supports multiple universes?

Thanks for all your help!
Lauren Rueda
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Help! New to Madrix, using SLESA-7

Post by Fritzsche »

Welcome, Lauren!

1) Your fixture selection should be just fine!

2) You should be able to output data eventually. The demo version allows this, but it has its limitations. You might have reached the 1-hour limit. Please review the features and limits here: http://www.madrix.com/en/home/download/ ... tware.html

3) To control a single DMX universe, MADRIX KEY start is the right product. A product overview is provided here: http://www.madrix.com/en/home/products/ ... rview.html

That your interface shows up as SUIDI-5A is a good sign. But unfortunately, we cannot make sure that it will work in the end. This is due to lack of support from the manufacturer.
As such, it might turn out that your interface is not compatible with MADRIX. The demo version is the best way to test this. For example, in MADRIX please go to Preferences > Options... > Devices (USB/PCI) and double-check if Nicolaudie (DasHard2006) is selected. Nicolaudie (DasHard) should be deselected.

I can't really assess the rest of your equipment, but I am assuming that it will work. For MADRIX, the interface is important because it is the device it will communicate with.

4) The next product-to output several DMX universes-is MADRIX KEY basic. It offers output of up to 8192 DMX channels (16 DMX universes). You could first buy MADRIX KEY start and later upgrade your key to MADRIX KEY basic. That is possible.

All MADRIX hardware products (USBone, MADRIX NEO, MADRIX PLEXUS) support multiple universes in the way that you can simply use several of the devices.

So it could make sense
- to purchase a MADRIX KEY and USBone interfaces
- to purchase a MADRIX NEO and later additional units (a NEO is a hardware interface that automatically activates the software license for 1 DMX universe when connected to MADRIX).
- to purchase MADRIX PLEXUS in the same way

There are also other (hardware) solution that support multiple universes, such as Art-Net nodes for example.

Thank you.
lrueda

Post by lrueda »

Thanks for your help! One more question -

I have decided that it is worthwhile to invest in the multi-universe system directly. To that end, I would like to purchase the MADRIX KEY basic V2.x. Although that is a 16-universe software, I am planning to use only three at this point. What other components do I need?
-3 x USBone? What is the benefit of NEO versus USBone?
-What type of decoder do I need? All the decoders I have previously worked with are limited to one universe.

Thank you!
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

The MADRIX Key Basic enables 16 Universes DMX output.
Indeed 8192 DMX Channels are enabled and the total amount of Universes to send this number of DMX Channels does not matter.
However the output could made by Art-Net, sACN, KiNet or even by several USB interfaces like our USBone, NEO or PLEXUS.
The difference between the USBone and the NEO is just the MADRIX license which the USBone did not offer, but the NEO.
So if you use a MADRIX Key using the USBone makes more sense as like as the NEO, because with the NEO you pay for the MADRIX output license which you already have with the MADRIX Key.
In other words, using 3 NEO´s without MADRIX Key is the second option for you for the same aim.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)