How to change multiple fixtures DMX addresses.

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

cadillackid

How to change multiple fixtures DMX addresses.

Post by cadillackid »

I am using Madrix for my Mega Christmas tree using RGB pixels. 3 DMX channels per pixel. I started out assuming I was going to power my tree from the top. imnstead that didnt work out so I reversed all of my physical pixel strings.. now in madrix all my strings start with the first pixel at the top and the last one of the string at the bottom. is there a way to reverse the DMX numbering of the pixels a string at a time rather than a fixture at a time in the patch?

so say the strings are 50 pixels each. fixture 801 currently starts at DMX channel 361 (361 - 363)of universe 7 and instead it should start at DMX address 508 (508-510).

there is 800 pixels im hoping to not have to renumber all my pixels manually. I may be able to renumber them in my SanDevices controller. but thought id see if theres an easy way to do them in madrix instead.
-Christopher
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: How to change multiple fixtures DMX addresses.

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Christopher!

I think there are some options available to you:

1) You could select multiple fixtures and adjust the "Offset" of the DMX Channel. Using this offset will automatically increase or decrease the DMX address(es) by the amount you are specifying for each fixture individually. (Likewise, offsets can be applied to DMX universe and position)

2) You could create a new Patch using not 1-pixel RGB fixtures, but 50-pixels strings as described by you. With 800 RGB pixels, this would reduce the number of total fixtures to 16. This might also be more practical for future changes. You can create such a fixture yourself using the MADRIX Fixture Editor, or you could use available fixtures, such as the Color Kinetics iColor Flex SLX 50x1. This is a bit of work for you, but maybe the Matrix Generator will be helpful to automatically generate the suitable Patch for you.

We'll see if we can come up with more tips and will post them here accordingly. Thanks!
Martin
cadillackid

Post by cadillackid »

I was thinking I had to use individual fixtures so that I could say put my pixels in diagonal positions.. but perhaps I shouldve set it up and rotated my single 50 pixel strip a number of degrees.. wit ha single fixture would it still allow me individual control like I have now? still use 150 channels of DMX per string?

right now I know I use a lot of DMX channels but each pixel is individually controlled.. I patched them in the shape of a tree.. it looks like I may be able to reverse them for this season on my SanDevices controller and rebuild my patch after the Holiday run is over....

-Christopher
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Having diagonal positions is indeed a very different situation.

With single strip fixtures and fixtures in general, you will not be able to rotate them, except for 90°, 180°, and 270°.

A strip fixture would still allow individual control. And yes, the example I gave would still use 150 DMX channels per string and each pixel is controlled individually.

For starters, you could also try to just use the opposite direction for your effects or to rotate the Layers.
cadillackid

Post by cadillackid »

im thinking with all the Christmas light enthusiasts coming online, having a "star pattern" or set a number of degrees to rotate a fixture.. or allow a line draw feature using a selection of single pixel fixtures...

in my case using the SanDevices E682 controller I will be fine, as it turns out they have my back.. I can "reverse" the pixel string in the controller itself so it will match all of my Madrix effects even though physical pixel "1" is closest the controller.. i can reverse 1 and 50 and drive it from the other end.. "whew"...

perhaps im using patch incorrectly.. but what I did is "draw" a picture of each of my display elements in the grid of the patch, with each square in the grid as a fixture with a DMX address.. and matched how I installed the light strings with my drawing.. the only ones done differently are my Lightorama controllers in DMX mode that I simply just wanted very Local effects on, so I spread them out a bit and overlayed different Musical effects on each "channel" or group of "channels".. those arent as they physicall are in the yard but were just set up to make it easy to overlay effects on.

the only other issue I will run into in the future is the total size of the grid as I add more and more pixels, I like to spread things apart on the patch so that i can have odd-ball shapes and make effects not overlap.. example my tree pattern looks like a pyramid but I have to use a large rectangle in the patch as I cannot lay an effect to the shape of the pyramid. the effect is layed wide and tall enough to to cover all pixels in the tree.. other elements need to be clear of that complete rectangle area or they will be "effected" also...
-Christopher
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi!

Thank you for your suggestions!

It is hard to asses your usage of the patch without seeing it and your yard, but it sounds as if you are already very familiar with it and did use it correctly.

I don't think you will run into troubles with the total size of the grid. If the current workspace is not big enough for you, feel free to call up the Options of the Patch (Preferences > Options ...) and change the size of the grid.
cadillackid

Post by cadillackid »

the biggest trouble I have with making the total workspace bigger is no ability to Zoom the MAP so when it comes time to put effects onto the Map there's no visual of where the lights actually are other than the very small preview window.. I dont use DVI so I dont have a license for it.. if i try and view full screen i get a big red X in the window presumably due to a license key option I dont have..

when I map effects Id like to go on the numbers but they seem off a bit from the actual lights.. possibly they start in the center of the effect instead of upper left corner? im sure its just my learning still.

-Christopher
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Ok, I can see what you mean.

To improve this workflow, I would recommend to first study the patch and then map the effects to the correct pixel coordinates.

1) Patch

The graphical part of the Pach and the right-hand Fixture Settings will precisely show you, where your fixtures are located. I would recommend to note that information down.

2) Map
Make sure to choose "px" for your settings. That means, that you can map your effects using pixels rather that percentages. This should also eliminate the situation you described that the numbers seem to be off.

Now map your effects to each of the areas you need. Please note that Map starts at 0,0, while the Patch starts at 1,1. So you need to reduce your noted numbers by 1 for Map. The numbers start in the upper left corner.

(FYI, The big red X is indeed a license restriction for DVI.)