USing Madrix on computer with 2 network interface cards

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Greg Young

USing Madrix on computer with 2 network interface cards

Post by Greg Young »

Hi folks:
I read the past posts here (from 2010), and the current Madrix instructions that said you can not instruct Madrix to use a single network card when a computer has 2 cards for example. The instructions go on to say Madrix defaults to the first card that is detected when the computer boots up (which is the primary network card).
The issue for me is that I use my i7 computer for web browsing, etc, which I would like to continue to be able to do while using Madrix, which is why I purchased the second NIC, to allow what I thought could serve as a dedicated NIC for Madrix to use, to ensure it wouldn't be bogged down by traffic on my primary network.
I should mention I stripped the 2nd NIC down to bare bones, to make it clean.
When I boot up Madrix it defaults to my primary card. The only way it will use the second card is if I unplug my primary NIC from the network. Then it outputs through ther second NIC fine.
Have there been any fixes/updates/workarounds that folks are aware of that I might be able to use?
Thanks!
Greg
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: USing Madrix on computer with 2 network interface cards

Post by Wissmann »

Ok ?

What kind of protocol we are speaking about for sending?
Ecue, Art-Net, Insta, sACN, CITP, Color Kinetic or T9.

And what kind of operating system you use?
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
Greg Young

Post by Greg Young »

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
I am running Madrix under windows 7, using sACN.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

OK,
the situation is still the one which is described in the user manual.
Under Windows 7 the sACN implementation of MADRIX only works on the primery NIC.
If you have only one NIC in the pc this one is the primary of cource.
If you now plug in a second card this one is either the new primery or not.
I gues in your case the new NIC is become the new primary. The only solution i see currently is to use this new NIC now for the sACN output and the old NIC which was allready in the pc for the internet.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
Greg Young

Post by Greg Young »

Ok, thanks.
That's what figured, but I was hoping there might have been a fix that would allow Madrix's sACN output to be routed to a specific NIC.
I will swap outputs, and move my internet activities to the new card (the secondary one), and allow Madrix to use my old card (which the computer views as my primary card).
Thanks again!
Greg
PS, I absolutely love Madrix. Everyone involved in the development of Madrix can take great pride in one superb program!