ArtNet Traffic

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

schoissi

ArtNet Traffic

Post by schoissi »

hello to all,

i have a setup this weekend with a total of 114 dmx universes driving sgm led balls over artnet network to dmx nodes ( each node has 8 dmx outputs). for future projects we also want to try it with madrix. i´ve read something about artnet traffic limitation ( not sending broadcast, instead of it sending direct ip?).
do you have some more information about this, can i do settings in madrix to change the artnet traffic form broadcast to direct ip?
do the lan nodes have to support this?

thx a lot,
roman

edit: i´m also lighting operator and know from a hog3 that i can change this settings ( turning on/off broadcast) but i´ve never used artnet in such a huge way, so i´m not familiar with this.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: ArtNet Traffic

Post by Fritzsche »

Hello!

Thanks for your request.

You are quite right. Direct IP mode is much preferable to Broadcast, especially when running a lot of DMX universes. Broadcast sends data to the whole network, while Direct IP specifically targets nodes with those particular IP addresses. As a result, Direct IP mode uses a lot less data traffic over the network.

You can change these settings directly in MADRIX. Art-Net devices are set up in MADRIX under Preferences > Device Manager > Art-Net. Depending on what the nodes support, you can automatically or manually add each node. Furthermore, you can "Edit" each device. Calling up this "Art-Net Device Configuration" window will allow you to choose from Broadcast or Direct IP mode (Send Broadcast/Send Direct).

Your nodes have the job to receive the data. If it is send to all recipients in the network or only to them specifically, should not be of intertest for them. So it a setting of the Art-Net data sender (MADRIX in this case). The nodes should automatically support this according to the Art-Net specifications.

More information is available here: http://help.madrix.com/hidd_device_page_net.html
schoissi

Re: ArtNet Traffic

Post by schoissi »

hello

thx for you fast and detailed answer.
also the info in the help about full or optimized frames is very usefull.

thx,
roman