Is it possible to control 4 screens by 1 PC ?

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Bichuch

Is it possible to control 4 screens by 1 PC ?

Post by Bichuch »

We plan to control 4 screens. Is it possible to control them independently with 4 instances of simultaneously running on 1 computer MADRIXes? Sizes of screen is not big (each ~80x7 or less). All motion pictures must use the same sound data.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Is it possible to control 4 screens by 1 PC ?

Post by Wissmann »

No.
You can run 4 screens (LED´s i gues) on one pc with one MADRIX but not independent from each other.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

My words "control independetly" were about screen' pictures itself and not the global effect's change timeline.
I.e. is it possible to have virtual screens with individual geometry and grahics each ?
For example, 80x7 + 50x5 + 50x2 ?
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Yes,
for this example you describe you can set up MADRIX with a patch size of 130x7 for example.
Than use the map function of layers to map your content on differnet parts.
80x7 to the top left corner for example, 50x5 to the top right corner and 50x2 to the bottom left corner.
At the end you should have 3 layers, for each screen one layer and each layer with different mapping coordinates.
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

Wissmann wrote:Yes,
for this example you describe you can set up MADRIX with a patch size of 130x7 for example.
Than use the map function of layers to map your content on differnet parts.
80x7 to the top left corner for example, 50x5 to the top right corner and 50x2 to the bottom left corner.
At the end you should have 3 layers, for each screen one layer and each layer with different mapping coordinates.
Thank you!
Your answer means, that we can logical combine some different screens in one big virtual, and play personal shows on each of them programmatically (with independent effect's changing timelines)? And there will be some globals: the same sound input and synchronous redrawing (frame output) for all screens.
(I think, it should be "50x2 to the bottom right corner" in your answer)
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

correct, and yes for the 50x2 i mean bottom right ;-)
But ! You have no independent timeline for changing effects, because all three layer (screens) are on one Storage Place which will change at once.
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

Wissmann wrote:But ! You have no independent timeline for changing effects, because all three layer (screens) are on one Storage Place which will change at once.
Are "Storage Place" and "Virtual screen" synonyms?
If it is so, I suppose to have some (3 or more) logically parallel threads in script. Each of them controls it's own part of Matrix, i.e. one physical screen. In fact, sequential processings of all threads in fixed order must be performed between events of physical output to screen (which is obviously global with values of BPM/FPS).
Is it possible to realize such a plan?
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

I am not sure if i understand you correctly.
In MADRIX you have currently 60 Storage Places on the left and the right side.
Each Storage Place holds an Effect which can be a combination of several Layers (Each Layer own one effect).
By default Each Layer and therefor each Storage Place works on the whole patch size (Virtual Screen).
The Storage Places now can be switched by hand, remote or the Cuelist.
Because of the possibility to map the region where a Layer works onto the patch size (virtual screen) it is possible to set up several layers (on one Storage Place) for different regions.
If this differnet regions represent different LED applications (screens) this means controling different LED screens by one Storage Place.
I hope you understand what i mean.
Just download MADRIX from this website and play arround with the layers and so on and i think you will know what i mean (i hope so).