Working with groups and layers

HBonello

Working with groups and layers

Post by HBonello »

Hi!

I've been reading previous threads and if I understand correctly, when I create a group it really only applies effectively for dimming, because the effects will still run on the voxels not in the group if they are in the same bonding box within the larges axis correct?

So considering that Layers have a traditional hierarchy of 1 lower and highest number a higher priority, if I want to make an composition of effects on one area and a different one on another area, I came up with the following thinking, please let me know if it will work or how could I achieve this (and yes, the areas are irregular shapes within the voxel and there are overlapping):

Area 1:
Layer 1 group C - Effect I want to appear on the foreground of Area 1;
Layer 2 group D - inverted selection of the voxels of this area dimmed at 0 to act as mask;
Layer 3 group A - All area 1 with an overall base dimmed look.

Area 2:
Layer 1 group E - Effect I want to appear on the foreground of Area 2;
Layer 2 group F - inverted selection of the voxels of this area dimmed at 0 to act as mask;
Layer 3 group B - All area 2 with an overall base dimmed look.

This way I end up with:
Group A= All area 1;
Group B= All area 2;
Group C= Foreground of area 1;
Group D= inverted selection of Group C for masking;
Group E= Foreground of area 2;
Group F= inverted selection of Group E for masking;

Would this work or is there a simper solution?

(It is a very large voxel count so I'm not able to test on my computer, that's why I'm brainstorming until I'm back on site :wink: )

Thank you all in advance!
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Working with groups and layers

Post by Guertler »

Hello HBonello,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.

In general you are right. Of course if an inverted selected group equals to one of the foreground group, you don't need to assign it twice. Because you can assign multiple effect layers to one and the same fixture group.

Regarding the arrangement of groups it seems you are arranging in the wrong order. Please keep in mind the left layer of MADRIX is the layer which is working in the background. The most right layer is the layer which is working in the foreground.
HBonello

Re: Working with groups and layers

Post by HBonello »

Thank you Guertler!

I appreciate and I probably will be back on the next couple of week with a few more doubts because of the current project I'm involved, it's likely that I'll reach out with a few questions 😅😅😅

Thanks!