map individual fixtures

ic3live

map individual fixtures

Post by ic3live »

Hi all,

first of all, i'm pretty new to madrix. We are running a project on madrix luna 4. We are providing lightning for a monumental round building with fixtures (28) covering the roof and the wall (48 for now) all around the building. We've setup the madrix luna, created 4 universes (for each quarter of the building) made a patch (1 horizontal line for the roof and one for the wall), adressed the fixtures and all is running well. We can run a lot of great built in shows and have set up a cue list that runs a couple of simple shows during the evening. Now we started working on new shows that will run on memorial days (f.i. kings day or freedom day) and i'm looking for a way to address each individual fixture. In this case i want static rainbow colors for each quarter of the roof. I started out creating a fixture group in the patch editor for each color in order to map one color to 1 (most left in the quarter) fixture in each quarter. (in this case in the top horizontal line in the patch editor i created a fixture group for fixtures 1, 8, 16 and 24) It turns out that such a mapping is not possible. When is setup a color layer in layer control and map it to the fixture group i just created it will map the color to all fixtures from fixture 1 to fixture 24. The weird thing is that when i use the fader for the specific group in group control it will, in this case, fade out fixtures 1, 8, 16 and 24. After that i created groups for each individual fixture to solve the 'issue' by creating 24 layers in one storage place. I think the group /mapping thing might be a bug. But again. i'm new to madrix. Is there any other more simple way to address individual fixtures? Thanks in advance, Niels
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: map individual fixtures

Post by Schulze »

Hi ic3live,

Welcome to the MADRIX forum!

I would like to give you some information regarding the Fixture Groups in MADRIX:
- MADRIX builds a bounding box around the fixtures, when creating a fixture group.
- MADRIX uses the bounding box of the fixture group with only its largest dimensions in X, Y, and Z. All effects inside the bounding box will be included for the rendering calculation. I guess this is what you expirienced here, when you created the fixture groups. This is the normal behavior of MADRIX.
- You are still able to use the groups for dimming, when creating (for example even/odd) fixtures groups.
- In your case a workaround could be to bring the fixtures to another Z-layer in the Patch Editor.
- This can be done in the "Voxel Mapping" settings (on the right side)by changing the "Position Z", when selecting a fixture in the Patch Editor.
- For example you can use Z-Layer 1 for the fixtures 1, 8, 16 and 24, and Z-Layer 2 for the rest of the fixtures.

Here you will find additional information:
http://help.madrix.com/m5/html/madrix/h ... patch.html

Could you please send us your MADRIX setup to info[at]madrix[dot]com to have a look at it?
Thanks in advance!
ic3live

Re: map individual fixtures

Post by ic3live »

Thank you Schultze, we'll give it a try and mail you the setup!